Tuesday, December 4, 2012

The Birth of George - Part 2


On the morning of 10/13/12 we woke up, went on a few walks, had some breakfast and then headed to the hospital to have a baby.  It was such a weird feeling.  We had driven to the hospital several times before, but this was THE DRIVE.  Very strange feeling!

I admit, I was a little bit annoyed that I hadn't gone into labor on my own.   I saw all my hopes for a natural birth flying out the window.  I didn't know what Pitocin would do or if I could handle those types of contractions.  I had had several friends inform me that Pitocin contractions were from the devil!   I was scared, excited, nervous, etc.  Doug had to calm me down many many times that morning.  

I did receive a prayer from a friend that morning.  It was so sweet and just what I needed to get my head back in the game and focus on our baby boy coming into the world.

We walked into the hospital and made our way up the Labor and Delivery.  They were waiting for us!  It was like we were checking into a fancy hotel!  We were hanging out in one room and I noticed it did not have a labor whirlpool tub.  I wanted a deluxe room so we moved to lucky labor room #7!  We labor in style in Indiana.  Our room had a flat screen tv and a fabulous tub.  Whoot!

I changed into my 'labor outfit' and we just chatted with the nurses.  I really didn't want to wear a hospital gown.  It might be silly, but they remind me of all my surgeries and I hate them!  I had a black tank top and sports bra, along with a comfy black skirt I had work over the summer.  It was perfect.  I figured, and told the nurses, I would change to a hospital gown if, and when, needed.  They didn't seem to mind, which was great.

They also gave me some FABULOUS mesh panties and the hugest pad ever!  It was the best for me -- since I was still leaking all over the place!  I'd never been so happy for mesh panties in my life!

The plan was to start me on a low dose of pitocin.  They hooked me up to some monitors to see what was happening before I received any medicine.  The monitors were going and it looked like I was having some serious contractions, but I was not feeling a thing.  I thought, "Man, this is great!  No pain!"  The nurse came in and explained that the monitor was actually showing the action in the room next door!  Hahaha!  It was on the wrong screen!  Dang!  She switched it to my screen - it showed a flat line!  Absolutely nothing was happening!

So they hooked me up to the pitocin about 10am.  I rested a little bit while we waited to something to happen.  I was already exhausted.  It was Saturday and I hadn't really slept since Thursday night.  It's a bit strange just laying there waiting for the pain to start, but that's what we did.  They checked me and I was about 3-4 cm and 50% effaced.

Since our Doula was at another birth... we had a backup Doula who arrived right when they started the PIT.  Erin was wonderful!  She came in and started 'prepping the room'.  She combined a whole bunch of stuff that smelled fantastic.  The room lights were dimmed and she started massaging my feet!  Labor?  This was like being at the spa!  Doug was watching football and I was getting a massage.  Nice!  Erin also said some prayers, which really helped set the mood.

My parents came in and chatted for a bit while Doug got some lunch.  My contractions were few and far between still at this point.  But I was at least finally having some.  The mood was pretty light.  Daisy was at the Day Care place... and we watched her on the Puppy Web Cams.  Yep, I was watching my dog on the web cam while in labor!

The nurse kept upping and upping the PIT, since everything was pretty slow.  Luckily, contractions and the pain started to pick up right when Doug arrived back.  Perfect timing.  My parents left and it was time to get to work!

Doug and I walked the halls and would stop periodically for contractions in the hallway.  The PIT was increased several more times and then things were really going.  Man, those PIT contractions were harsh.  Once they got going... UMMMM OUCH!

I had a little wooden block with me that read "I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."  I just kept repeating that to myself and praying.  I prayed all of the intentions people sent me during the contractions.  I would try to relax through the contractions.  I would say to myself, "Just relax, relax, relax."  That is hard to do while in so much pain, but it seemed to work. I knew if I tensed up, they would hurt worse.

We tried different labor positions:  We walked and stood the majority of the time.  Sitting or laying down was soooo uncomfortable.  I had a birth ball that was so comfortable while I was pregnant.  It had been on of my favorite places to sit while I was pregnant.  During labor - not at all.  Hip presses, etc., that I loved during all of our classes... I hated during labor.  The best position was just leaning up next to Doug and squeezing his shoulders while I tried to relax.

I was checked and it was discovered that I had a little bit of water in a bag that had not fully ruptured... which might be why I never spontaneously went into labor when my water broke the day before.  The nurse suggested that we brake it.  I was really nervous about this because I knew that once they did that... things would really pick up and hurt even worse.  I could.not.imagine.  I was about at 6cm at this point.  But I also didn't want labor to stall.

Luckily, our trusted original doula, Tonya, arrived.

Side note:  The other mom was still in labor as well! She would end up delivering later that night... with Tonya present at that birth too!

When Tonya arrived, Doug and I talked with her and Erin and decided that water needed to break to get the baby to move down.  I really dreaded it and the pain, but knew meeting my little man was getting closer and closer.

The doctor came in and broke the sac.  Gush!  I was use to that by now.  Haha.  I was about a 7 or 8 and 'real stretchy' when she broke the water.

I quickly ran over and got into the labor tub, which was filled with warm water.  And when I say ran... that's what I did.  The contractions were so strong and close together at this point that I did not want to be anywhere but in the water.  It was just what I needed.  It relieved a lot the pressure and I was able to relax during the contractions.

The pain at this point was crazy.  SO MUCH PRESSURE.  Nausea was also kicking in.  I felt sick to my stomach and just wanted to throw up.  I drank and ate a little to help counteract that.  I never got sick, but thought I would.

I tried different positions in the tub until the pain was unbearable.  I was kneeling over the edge and yelled, "I can't do this anymore!"  I then laughed out loud.  In all our labor classes, they had said that once you yell "I can't do this!" that the baby was almost here!  So cliche! But so true!

I got out of the tub for a few seconds and they checked me and I was at 9 cm.  Again, I ran back to the tub before they could ask me where I wanted to be.  The nurse was laughing a bit at that!  Hahaha.

Tonya said that just me walking back to the tub had probably gotten me to 10cm. Yes!

I was standing in tub and moaning and trying to breath through the contractions.  It felt like a bowling ball was coming out of my butt... I did not expect that feeling.  OUCH!  I was trying not to push, but there was just so much pressure.

And then... I yelled -- "He is coming out - NOW!"

Tonya had a very serious look on her face and told the nurses to get the doctor and fast.  She told Doug that she thought I was pushing a little bit while standing up.  Doug saw her face and later said that that is the time he knew baby boy would be here real soon.

Things got real busy, real fast.  The nurses ran and got the doctor.  I ran to the bed and put my legs up. There was lots of running going on.

The doctor came in and said, "I don't need to check you - there is his head!"  Whooo hooooo!

I pushed when having contractions.  I felt the ring of fire - OUCH!  I just wanted to meet my baby!  At one point they told me to reach down and feel his head - he was so close!  They told me he had lots of hair!  I couldn't believe he was so close!

Three contractions, about three minutes and three pushes later...

George Theodore Hauser was born at 3:25pm!

Right after he was born I said, "That feels better!" and that is so true!

It was the most wonderful feeling of my life -- both physically and emotionally!  Doug and I were both crying.  George was immediately placed on my chest.  It was love at first sight.

It was the perfect birth - for us.  Who knows what will happen next time (yay!).  If George's birth taught me anything... it's God's plan that is important... not ours!

Welcome to the world baby George!  We love you!

14 comments:

Kaitlin @ More Like Mary said...

OH MY! I dont even know what to say Jenny. You go girl.

Jeremiah 29:11 said...

Love it!

Krissy said...

Dude, you are awesome! I am so glad that you had such a great experience!

I am dreading my c-section...I almost hope I go into labor at this point, but I am trusting that God knows what day our son is to be born!

Unknown said...

Oh, I love this labor story! Thanks for sharing!

Shannon said...

you are a rockstar!!! how absolultely wonderful!

Beth said...

Woooooooo!!!!!! I love hearing that awesome story!!!

Blessed said...

What a beautiful story! You were awesome..

Hebrews 11:1 said...

...and that is how my son in law entered the world!! :) This brings tears to my eyes. I remember being in Claire's hospital room, just waiting waiting waiting on the other end of the phone for a text that he was here! :) :) :)

PS...you mean not everybody pushes for three hours? Lol!

Kerry said...

Yes! And I describe it like a concrete watermelon coming out...ouch!

Sarah said...

Awesome story!!! A natural birth with Pit - you GO!! :-D

Ania said...

A bowling ball coming out of your butt, lol! This is why I love you, girl, you crack me up. I'm fairly certain this is what I will think of when I'm in labor. Thanks for the giggle!

Sew said...

A natural birth with PIT is beyond me! :) You go girl!!!

alison said...

wow, such a great story! you are amazing!!

All in His Perfect Timing said...

I loved reading this! For someone who hasn't experienced labor (people never give ALL the nitty gritty details like you do here ... and I'd want to be prepared for ALL the sensations), this is great! I had to laugh with you when you told the story behind, "I can't do this anymore!"
I'm so happy George is happy & healthy!!