Sunday, March 6, 2011

Puppies and Infertility

As you all know, I am counting down the days until we bring Daisy, our little ball of cuteness home.  We just have three weeks until we have a bouncy cuddly puppy in our house.  I cannot really describe how excited I am to have this addition to our family.  Seriously, I'm bouncing up and down and I don't do a lot of bouncing in my life.  But why? Why am I so excited?  Why do I feel that I NEED this puppy?  Why do I feel that if we weren't getting this puppy and I didn't have this to look forward to, I would be an infertile emotional wreck?

I've always loved dogs.  I had two of them growing up and I loved them to pieces.  We got our first when I was in pre-school, so I don't even remember life without a four-legged friend.  When I was in 7th grade, from one state to another due to my dad's job and my mom and I were terribly homesick.  It was a very tumultuous time for my family - there was a lot going on.  One night, my brother and I, without my parents knowledge, went and got a puppy from a local farm to add to our pack.  I don't know how he convinced me to do this without telling my mom and dad, but he did.  I took one look at the pup that would be our beloved Dee Dee and my rule-following self, flew out the window!  We took her home, put a big red bow on her and 'gave' her to our dad for his birthday. What were we thinking??!! As mad as my parents were that we just went and got a puppy, they quickly fell in love with Dee Dee.  When I was homesick, Dee Dee was there to bring some much needed joy to my life.  When my mom was home alone while my brother and I were at school and my dad was at work, it was Dee Dee (and our older dog B.J., too) who comforted my mom from her deep feelings of homesickness too.  Dee Dee was our little Indiana 'savior' if you will.  He was the one thing that made moving in the middle of 7th grade (bad, bad time to move) bearable.  Dee Dee provided much needed healing for my family at that time.  I now associate that healing and joyous feeling with having a dog.

That brings us to our to-be pup, Daisy.  While Doug and I had talked about getting a dog for some time now, we really hadn't planned to get a dog for a few more years.  In our perfect pre-marriage world, we thought we'd have some kids, get a dog and live happily ever after.  Then infertility struck.  I think I do semi-ok with it most days, some are obviously better than some.  The past several months have been hard.  Real hard.  It is constantly there.  There are constant reminders that we cannot conceive.  It feels like a huge weight that is constantly sitting on my heart.  On the good days, it just feels heavy.  On the bad days, it feels like a mountain that I cannot move.

I am well aware that Daisy is not a baby.  She's a dog.  A pretty stinkin' cute dog, but a dog, nonetheless. She will not fill the void I feel because we do not have children.  But I would be lying to myself and everyone else, if I did not recognize that we are upping our timeline for a dog because of our current state of infertility.  It's so obvious.  I know it and am well aware of it.  But honestly, I don't care.  Daisy has already brought us so much joy, I don't care what the psychological reasons are behind bringing her into our lives.  She has relieved some of the constant IF weight on my chest.  She has given me something joyous to look forward to.  She has given me much needed focus on what is good in my life -- what blessings I/we do have.  She doesn't make me forget that we don't have a baby to love.  But with her, I get to use my mothering side and that, somehow, gives me a little hope for the future.  If our puppy parenthood skills are any indication of how we will be at parents... then we will definitely rock.  We've already gotten Daisy enrolled in puppy school and have her first several vet appointments set up.  With each little puppy toy we buy, I feel elated.  We are getting her 'room' set up, buying baby gates (ha!) and are setting up puppy play dates.  With her in our lives, it seems as if some of the sadness that has encapsulated our home lately, is slowing pealing away.  Daisy makes me unbelievably happy.  Right now, I will gladly take that!!

We have a play date with Daisy next weekend.  Get ready for picture overload! In the meantime... here she is.  She is getting so big!!!  I'm so in love!
Daisy at one month old!

20 comments:

Karen said...

I am a firm believer that dog parents are generally happier people. I too grew up with dogs. The only time I can remember in my life when I didn't have a dog was the first year and a few months that I was married. I Finally convinced K that we needed a pup (he had never in his life had a pet). We are both so glad that I did. No, Oscar didn't take the place of a child during IF. But he sure did make it a little less lonely. Dogs have such an amazing awareness. He knew when I was sad and hurting. He was, and still is, a great cuddle buddy. Dogs just make you smile. That can be so helpful during IF!

Megan said...

I am so excited for you, Jenny! You and Doug are in my prayers, and I will have to make a point to meet the new member of your family! :)

... said...

The past few years have been the only time in my entire life when I didn't have a dog and it's been hard. They give you so much unconditional love and are always so happy to see you. I think it's the perfect time for Daisy to come to you and bring you some much needed joy. I'm so excited to see more pics of Daisy! I do have puppy envy going on.

Chasing said...

Getting Larry was one of the best things we did during IF. There is nothing quite like being adored daily by a dog. It is good for the heart!

Kaitlin @ More Like Mary said...

Cuuuute!

Nicole C said...

Wait...you live in Indiana??? I'm such a homesick Hoosier! So excited for your new addition. We got a dog last year for sort of the same reason. Not b/c it's a substitute for a child, but I just felt ready to take care of something else!

Second Chances said...

You should not apologize or feel silly for getting a dog to help you get through your IF. Let's face it: pets help! They use pets for therapy all the time. This is no different. Just tell people that you're practicing your parenting on a dog first!

Faith makes things possible said...

She is so cute!! I'm happy that y'all get to bring her home soon! The sooner, the better!!! :)

Beth said...

I Totally understand. That's Why we got Roofus.

Nicole C come visit Us!

The IF Cross said...

DH & I had the same view...Marriage first, kids, then maybe a dog. God had other plans for us. Long story short, we took on caring for dh's former roommate's dog he bought with his girlfriend. He decided to join the army...This was almost 5 years ago. She was only 6 months old when we got her and we had just bought a brand new home. The other day dh made the comment to me that God must have known we were going to have IF issues so he gave us Macy :) She's the Best Dog EVER!!! Congrats on your new puppy and bring on the pictures :)

Little JoAnn said...

I am in love with Daisy too! And, I understand perfectly.

WheelbarrowRider said...

Dogs bring so much joy, but they are also very time consuming. It's a good distraction, and they give so much love, I think it is perfect timine! You can get that potty training out of the way so you don't have to deal with it and babies at the same time!

Sew said...

Thats how I felt about waffle. He was brand new when I had my miscarriage and that dog did not leave my side. Not sure what I would have done without him. Now he's a pita!!! Hahaha. Jk he sleeps all day!!

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way. My Scrappy was my baby, I was a wreck after he died, but I feel that I need another dog to take care of.. It's kinda sick I think.. ;)

JellyBelly said...

I so get this post!!!! I wish that Mr JB would let me get a dog too, but it just wouldn't work in our house and our schedule. Also, Mr JB thinks that dogs need to live outside since he grew up on a farm. He says that in our next house he'll consider it. [sigh]

I hope that Daisy will help ease some of the pain of IF. How could she not? She's so cute!

Hebrews 11:1 said...

I totally get what you mean!! Our puppy will be born in about 3-4 weeks and I could not be more excited! Animals really have a special place in our hearts and lives.

Cathy said...

Our dogs carried us through many lonely years and tears.
They are gone now (as of a three summers ago - they both died within two weeks of each other) but I will always treasure my little pups who gave me something adorable to look at for so many years pre-children.

Leila@LittleCatholicBubble said...

She is unbelievably precious! And I am not even a dog person! I want to cuddle her! I am so grateful to God for giving you this sweet bundle of love and joy. :)

Amazing Life said...

She is so cute and I know that our pets are our babies too! We got a new kitty in 2008 after a really tough time in our lives and she helped healed my heart as we waited for Joseph and grieved the loss of Nicky!

Maggie said...

Very very cute! I'm a cat girl, but any type of pet (I think the cuddly ones especially) help us to love more.

I have a question, I linked to your blog through second chances and saw the super cute bibs that you gave her for her little one. Did you make those? If so, what type of embroiderer do you have? I am thinking about getting one.