Friday, November 2, 2012

Quick Takes/Thankful days 1 and 2

1.  George is almost 3 weeks old!  How did that happen?!  Seems like just yesterday I was anxiously awaiting my due date and now I have a 3 week old!  Crazy!

2.  Nursing is going a little better.  It's still a struggle most days, but it is improving.  That tells you how bad it was!  I'm meeting with lactation consultants twice a week, pumping, nursing, still taking prescription meds and supplements, etc.  I don't know how long I can keep all this up, but for now, I'm doing it.  George is past his birth weight (go G!) weighing in at 7lbs 11oz now.  Whoot!  So all this effort is working.  Praise the Lord!

I am a bit more at peace with the whole situation.  I just want him to get what he needs.  I want what is best for him - which is to grow and develop and be strong and healthy.  I think when I accepted this and just surrendered, things improved!  In fact, I went to my lactation meeting yesterday and the little man took in THREE OUNCES from me!  Yep, while nursing!  He had never taken in any more than ONE little ounce while nursing before.  Whoot!  The LC there was so excited!  She said, "Praise the Lord!" and we did just that!

So right now the plan is to focus on nursing in the morning when it appears I have more milk.  I will continue to pump after each feeding and feed him the pumped milk in the evening when he has more difficulty nursing and my supply is low.  We have another LC meeting on Monday evening, where we will see if his evening feedings have improved.  We shall see!

3.  On a similar note, I think my boobs will lose all magical powers with my husband after all of this!  Hahahaha!  I am constantly hanging out and wearing a pumping bra (not all that attractive)!  I'm pumping as I'm typing.  Yep, hands free pumping bras rock!

4. I am managing to get a little sleep here and there.  Not much, but I typically do 'ok' on little sleep.  About once a day, I hit a "need to sleep now" wall.  I rest and get back up and start going again.  It's amazing how the body just takes over.  It's like I'm on no sleep auto pilot.  I even manage to take a shower and brush my teeth most days.  I consider this a major accomplishment!

5.  Doug and I voted early!  The line was freakishly long for a Monday mid-afternoon.  I'm glad people are exercising their right to vote... just hoping that they are voting for the right guy.  George went along for the ride.  He was a pretty cute voter if I do say so myself.



6.  I went to my first "mom" Halloween party this week.  I'd been to lots of parties before, but this was the first time I went and took my baby!  Very fun!

7.  Best quick take of all... a whole bunch of pics of my little man!  And if you'd like to see some more pics... check out Julie's blog.  She came over and took some pics when George was one week old.  He was a little uncooperative, but she managed to get some great shots!!

************So... I'm not sure I will be able to blog all the days of thanks this month... I'm already behind.***********

Day 1: I'm obviously thankful for my little man, George and my hubby, Doug.  They are my world!

Day 2: I'm thankful for a sleeping baby so I can have a few minutes to blog!

Now... here are those pictures I promised!









12 comments:

Brenda said...

3 weeks old and you're an old pro already:) He does favor Doug in that one pic!

Julie said...

Super cute!! Glad things are looking up.

It was great to have you and George at our Halloween Party! I remember going to my first Mom event with Bella. pure joy!


Anonymous said...

Great pics!!!!

Thankful said...

He is such an alert little guy! I love all of the pics. Keep up the good work with the nursing/pumping. I remember crying with almost all feedings until about four weeks (AG latched poorly on one side). You are such a great mommy!

Lucky as Sunshine said...

cute pictures !

Unknown said...

He is so alert and healthy! 3 weeks, amazing! I know the nursing stuff is hard, but please give yourself a huge pat on the back.

I'm a Mom of five and its really rare to see a 3 week old that alert and social. You've got a gem of a guy there! Hats off to his hard working Mommy!

one joyful day said...

George is just so precious!! I love that one with the tie on his shirt!! :)

Jeremiah 29:11 said...

Love all the pictures!! What a sweet boy.

Catholic Mutt said...

All great pics, but the last is my favorite!

Sarah said...

soooo cute!!! p.s. wow, you got him up to his birth weight that fast??? at 6 weeks N hadn't reached his birth weight! See, you're doing an awesome job w/the nursing.

Ania said...

I'm already worried about the nursing and lack of sleep :/

You're my inspiration though, Jenny. Keep up the good work!

All in His Perfect Timing said...

He is ADORABLE, Jenny!!! SOOOO cute!
I hope nursing continues to improve. Hooray for the little things!