Thursday, August 7, 2014

30 days of eating

Wow… I'm a blogging slacker.  Big time.  I just can't find enough hours in the day.  But I'm up late… can't sleep… catching up on Big Brother and blogging.

Doug and I decided to do go big or go home this month when it came to nutrition.  I have been in a freaking frustrating standstill with my weight for months.  Despite working out, eating well, having my adrenals and thyroid working much much better… the weight would go down… then up… then down.  Welcome to the story of my life.

I am in a support group for low milk producers on FB.  Loved those girls in my milk dud days.  Many of them have PCOS and IR.  They are also all doing the Whole. 30.  So I looked into it and decided in a matter of minutes that our household would be doing it.

What is it?  A 30 day elimination diet.  No sugar, grains, dairy and legumes.

Well, since my great doc found out I'm crazy sensitive to gluten, wheat, eggs and dairy… this was right up my ally.  The hard part?  All WHOLE foods.  Pretty much nothing processed.  At all.  No artificial flavorings or anything. Dude.  That artificial flavoring is in everything.  EVERYTHING!

But I signed us up!  Jumped right in!

IT HAS BEEN AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doug has lost a ton of weight.  You really aren't suppose to weigh during the 30 days.  He hasn't, but you can just see it with him.  He's in different size pants… he had to get a smaller belt.  He has more energy.  His aches and pains are gone.  He always has swelling in his left leg.  He broke it three times when he was a kid.  That combined with diabetes = swelling.  It has been reduced by a ton!  It's amazing.  He is totally pumped about this whole eating.

For me?  I've lost weight.  I cheated and have weighed myself b/c I had a few doctor appointments.  My pants can come off without me unzipping them.  Whoot!  Energy wise - I've been great!

The hard part?  All. The. Freakin'. Cooking.

I'm cooking all the time.  And I don't cook.  Not like that.  Not for every meal.

Also… so much protein.  Which obviously should be with every meal in general.  But I'm not a huge meat and chicken fan.  I can't really have eggs.  So I've had more meat and chicken this month than ever before in my life.  Doug is loving that.  I am loving all the vegetables.  And new recipes.  We have made so much good stuff.  YUMMMMM.

We are almost done and I don't know if we will go back.  Partially, yes.  I need some gluten free chex and a chai tea latte in my life at times.  I need a little flexibility.

More importantly, Doug and I need to be healthy.  I'm still overweight.  We are trying for baby #2.  I want to be healthy.  Heck… I just want to be healthy enough to ovulate!  So that's my motivation!  So far, so good!
 Two of our yummy meals we've been chowing down on this month!

4 comments:

Donna said...

Congrats on the weight loss! It's such a great feeling to see the numbers go in the direction we want them to go.

We have been eliminating most processed foods, though not quite to the extent you are. I'm amazed at how much better I feel and how many of the aches and pains have gone away.

BTW, what is the first picture? It looks delish!

Joy Beyond the Cross said...

Intriguing! Yeah, I am with Donna, what is the 1st picture? Thanks for sharing your Whole30 journey thus far!

Jenny said...

The first pic is just a bag of broccoli slaw with ground beef, seasoned with ginger, coconut aminos (similar to soy sauce, but w/o soy). Totally easy and a crowd pleaser.

All in His Perfect Timing said...

Jenny, that is GREAT!!!!
I'm so excited for you both on the Whole 30 diet/challenge. We are trying to eat better/cleaner as well. I am so glad you are both losing weight and feeling better and the meals you've made look delicious! Tell me more in the next blog post. :-D