Friday, December 17, 2010

Fertility Findings and Surgery Update

I'm just over one week post-op now and am doing pretty well.  I was VERY lucky that my surgeon, Dr. C, was able to examine my pelvic area after the bypass.  There was a lot to be discovered and I feel so blessed that we know another piece of the fertility puzzle.  Right before the surgery, she said she would do anything possible to give Dr. G an good idea about what was really going on inside of me.  She did a great job and I am so thankful!

Funny thing is... I learned about some of the findings from my own blog!  I was SO out of it after surgery that I don't think I really heard anything that was being said about what they found.  I was messing with phone and looked on the blog and read Ann's update and thought, "Oh, I have endo."  Hahahaha!

Dr. C looked around the pelvis and found out that I do, indeed, have endometriosis.  She could not comment on the extent of it because she said it was not her expertise.  It was in several places and also on some of my bowel.  She took a ton of pictures, some that she gave me and others that she will forward to Dr. G for review.  My left ovary was enlarged and hard a huge cyst on it.  My left tube also had a cyst attached to it.

For months I've had excruciating pain on my right side.  Ann nicknamed the pain, the Gremlin, and I think it accurately describes it!  Well, turns out the Gremlin is most likely my right ovary.  It is attached to my abdominal wall.  Ouch.  Totally stuck.  It wouldn't move at all.  It also had a cyst by it.  It was, however, a normal sized ovary.  Dr. C said that this was most likely the cause for my right sided pain.

While I am upset that I have endo, I am not surprised.  Sew smelled it on me as she always says.  Plus, the pain indicated that I had it and Dr. G assumed I had it... we just needed it to be confirmed.  This will most likely result in a surgery next year.  My pain is horrible and I cannot endure that forever.  Dr. G had talked about a surgery for the endo (even before we knew this) next summer, after I lost some weight and healed.  I am interested in what he will say now that he has all the pictures and the endo is confirmed.

Side note: My cycle decided it would show up while I was in the hospital.  I think there should be some sort of law against this.  CD 1, Cramps, the Gremlin and surgery pains should not happen all at the same time.  Ha!

********************************
In other news... the WLS went great.  It went better than I expected.  I did not expect to feel 'well' in the hospital.  I've gotten sick after every other surgery I've had.  They were minor (tonsils, gallbladder) and I was so sick.  I did not feel the least bit sick this time.  Whoo hoo!  My hospital stay went great.  They had me up every two hours walking and I walked like a champ... even with my IV and all!  I walked a mile at 3am the first night.  Yes, only 12 hours after the surgery.  The nurse told me I needed to sloooow down a bit.  Ha!  I was a total lap leader and took that seriously!  I'm a bit competitive, I admit it! 

I was in the hospital two days and then was released.  Things at home have been pretty smoothly too.  It is a big adjustment.  I am very sore and my incisions are still hurting.  Getting up and down from a chair or in and out of bed are the most painful, but getting better each day.  

I am on a very limited diet right now and am doing well with it.  I eat three small meals each day.  Small, meaning 2 oz. of modified liquids or mushy food (applesauce, smooshed beans, pudding, yogurt, cottage cheese, etc.).  Sometimes I cannot even get the full 2oz. down.  I am not hungry at all and have to remind myself to eat.  It takes me almost an hour to eat 2 oz!  I take a bite, set a timer and wait two minutes, take another bite and repeat.  I sip on liquids and protein drinks during the rest of the day.  The program I am involved with has is very structured, which I love.  It lays out exactly what and when I can and should eat.  It takes everything very slow and I like it that way.  It gives my new stomach, or "pouch" as it is commonly called, time to adjust to new foods that are introduced.  Here are pictures of my first meal in the hospital and my lunch the other day.  I love the little containers.  :)

 

I take a number of supplements during the day as well.  I have a list of medications and vitamins and I check them off as I go.  That's a full time job in itself.  There are some that I have to take two hours apart, others I have to take before or after a meal.  I have to cut up the pills.  I take a pill, then I wait 15 minutes, take the second part and continue.  It's a process to get everything done.

I did have one 'bad' day.  It happened to be the day that DH was heading back to work.  I woke up and felt sick, which was very different than any other day.  I was nervous about DH being gone and I let my anxiety get the better of me.  I was so nervous the rest of the day.  It was hard to eat or drink... until he came home.  Hmmm... I think DH was my miracle cure.  Cheesy, but true.  

I have managed to lose some weight this first week!  I gained almost 12 pounds from all the fluids in the hospital!  They wanted to 'over-hydrate' me prior to my release.  They told me this would happen and they were pleased with the amount I gained.  Ha! I lost the water weight within the first few days being home and have lost about an additional 10 pounds.  I am trying to walk a lot during the day.  It's snowy outside, so I've just been walking inside the house and using the wi.i fit.  DH and I have been shopping several times to help get in some quality walking time.  Overall, I am pleased with the progress so far.  This is not easy.  It's not the easy way out, as some think.  Not at all!  I know that there will be many ups and downs to come, but am confident that this was a good choice for me.  I would still appreciate prayers as I continue to recover and adjust to this new life. 

23 comments:

Rebecca said...

So glad you are doing so well! I'm not glad they found endo and cysts, but I am glad that you got a few answers.

You are right, WLS is not the easy way out - a friend of mine had it done and it is challenging. I do have a question (feel free to tell me it's none of my business, because it's really not) - how will the WLS and being able to eat a small amount of food affect you when you are pregnant someday? Again, no need to answer, I'm totally being nosy.

Kerry said...

glad you are recovering well and adjusting to the new diet.

so sorry that your findings indicated endo...but I guess it was not a complete surprise if Sew also thought so!

praying for you...

Jenny said...

No problem Rebecca! The very first question I asked Dr. C when we first met was how WLS would affect a pregnancy. She, along with my regular OB and Dr. G, all assured me that the WLS would not negatively affect a pregnancy. I'll actually be healthier and better able to handle a pregnancy with less weight on me. I won't always be eating such a small amount of food. That is just for a few months while my stomach heals.

Within a year, I will be eating larger portions of 'regular' healthy food. My OB (and Dr. G) has several patients that were able to get pregnant within a year of their surgeries. They worked with nutritionalists to make sure that they were eating well and getting all the nutrients they and the baby needed. I assume I will do the same if/when I'm blessed with a pregnancy. I'll also be tested every few months to make sure that I don't have any nutrition/vitamin deficiencies that would affect a pregnancy and/or my general health. I know it's not a real technical answer, and I'm sure some people have problems with pregnancy after WLS, but this is the basic answer that all three of my doctors gave me when investigating this aspect of the surgery. :)

Anonymous said...

Jenny a friend of mine from high school got pregnant after having WLS, her pregnancy went just fine! I hope your recovery goes smoothly, but have to ask, will this affect Christmas eating? Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

JellyBelly said...

I'm so glad that you're doing so well!!! PTL!

Sucks about having to have another surgery, but at least you know what you're up against!!

Jenni said...

Wow, you are awesome!! I am so glad it going so well and I hope it continues to go so smoothly for you. I will keep on praying for you Jenny!

Kaitlin @ More Like Mary said...

You are so strong! That is a ton of work-it definitely doesn't sound like the easy way out! I'm glad the surgery went well. I hope they get rid of that endo as soon as they and it goes just as well!

More Than Anything said...

YAY! I'm so glad you are healing. The lap chart is hilarious! You kicked butt!

I'm wasnting to ask my doctor to take a look at my girly parts while he's in there, but I don't think he'll be that far south. :)

I'm praying for you!

mrsblondies said...

I'm so glad the surgery went well. It's great that they were at least able to find some answers since you were already having surgery and if you end up needing a laparatomy, you won't have to do a laparascopy too. Good luck with the healing and keep us updated on your progress.

Faith makes things possible said...

Glad you are healing well...I'll pray for a quick recovery!!! Bummer about the endo but like others have said, it's nice to KNOW and be able to plan accordingly, with surgeries and what not!!

Mrs. Mike said...

So glad you are healing well. I'm sorry about the endo and cyst--but you know...sometimes after months and months of TTC disappointment, it's sometimes nice to know that their might actually be a culprit/reason rather than just the unknown. I guess you can now form a plan of attack (and dare I say gear up for another surgery?) once you are healed from this one. Continued prayers for you as you heal!

Second Chances said...

Wow, you are amazing! I'm so glad you're on the path to wellness with the WLS and finding out your fertility issues. Can't wait to see what God does with you now :)

Angela said...

The lap leaders board pic is AWESOME! You go girl! I'm so glad you are healing so well from this one, and so glad that they found some new pieces of the puzzle! Praying for your continued recovery!

Sarah said...

Glad all is going well! And I am so glad they were able to identify some fertility-related issues.

Megan said...

Wow, Jenny! You have been on my mind so much lately, and you have been in my prayers! I'm so glad that you are healing well. Boo about the endo, but I guess knowledge is power, right?
Awesome about the 10 pound loss!!!

... said...

Look at our Lap Leader!!! Way to show them!

(I cannot believe the tiny condiment serving bowls. Crazy!)

Beth said...

This is a great update! Of course you were the lap leader! I had no doubt!

Come hang out with us after Christmas ;)

Beth said...

Oh and I think its Great that you have a cause... endo... cause Dr g can fix it! I was strangely relieved after my diagnosis ...at least it wasn't All in my head or something! I'm so glad you're seeing Dr g. You know he's my hero!

Brenda said...

This process of surgery and after is so interesting. You're like our own science experiment:)

It's funny that we are all so "thrilled" they docs found something wrong with you:) But it's something to fix!

Take it easy and relax and let Doug wait on you as long as he can stand it. prayers for a continued good recovery!

Anonymous said...

My goodness! sorry bout the endo, but I'm glad they found it and are able to make the arangements to take care of that. Sounds like your doing great, and I love that your dh was your mirical cure :) Prayers are for a good recovery are on their way.

Joy Beyond the Cross said...

Oh Jenny, I am so happy for all the wonderful developments and the smooth recovery thus far! God is good! Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing this journey with us. You are such an inspiration!

Joy Beyond the Cross said...

Okay, the endometriosis - I didn't mean that was a wonderful development - moreso that they found it and can finally do something about it! ;) Okay, I will stop talking...err commenting I guess.

Danya @ He Adopted Me First said...

Jenny, the lap board cracked me UP!!!! I am so happy for you I could spit! You're going to love being smaller...LOVE IT. I really miss those days since I have a hard time doing everything right now because of my (ahem - I KNOW it's all good) increased size. I am so proud of you...so, so proud. Go girl!