Friday, March 12, 2010

And the winner is... PCOS!!

The appointment went really well.  Doug and I both loved the doctor... we will call him Dr. G.  My friend had told me we would love him and she was right!  I was afraid that he'd talk to us for about 15 minutes and then just order some tests.  Instead, he spent about 1 1/2 hours just talking with us... going over our entire medical history and our very short TTC history.  He said that he did not care how long Doug and I had been 'trying'.  Dr. G. told us that he was concerned with my overall health and TTC or not, something is not working right and it is his job was to figure it out.  After listening to us and reviewing all my records, HSG, tests, labs, etc. he said he is pretty sure it's PCOS.  He ordered labs and some u/s's to confirm, but he said all the signs were there.  If the tests don't show PCOS, we will look at it all again.  We talked extensively about my weight and all my options.  I brought it up and he was very supportive and was not at all judgmental, which I've run into in the past.   I had really feared he would just put me down for being heavy.  It's really my big fear going into any situation... meeting new people, a new doctor, etc. etc. and the same applied here.

After our long chat, he did a vag u/s to check on any cysts and see if anything looked new with my tubes.  This was my favorite part of the day.  Sound weird?  Yep... but it's not what you think.  I'm not sure Doug even really knew what a v/us was, so to have him in the room was priceless.  The nurse took us in the room and I went to use the restroom.  I came back and Doug looked like petrified.  I asked if the nurse told him if I should undress and said, "She told me to sit, so I'm sitting."  I wish I would have had a camera, because he looked so funny... and kind of cute.  I got ready for the test and then showed him the wand.  I thought the poor guy was going to pass out.  I couldn't stop laughing... inside of course.  I held his hand and kept telling him it would be ok.  Ha!

The u/s showed that there was a sac of fluid either in my left tube or right beside it.  This was the same as it appeared at my HSG last year.  My right one is the one we already know is blocked.  I didn't have any fibroids or cysts, which is an improvement over last year.  He also ordered blood work, which I will have done at the beginning of my next cycle.  Doug will undergo a few test and blood work as well to check him out.  I will see him back in a month.  He said we would all come up with a plan and I love plans.  I don't like when they don't go as planned, but I'll work on that!  I have a feeling I might get really use to having that happen.

What's next?  Tomorrow I have a physical with my family doctor.  It is just a physical and some blood work.  It has been scheduled for a while.  Then in a little over a week, I will meet with a weight specialist.  Dr. G looked at my typical diet and said I was doing everything right.  He said that I should be losing weight and I'm not.  I'm gaining it instead.  So, we are going to see what we can do about it.  I'm ready to get drastic.  My health depends on it and I'm ready!  I've said that many times before, but mommyhood never depended on it.  It is a different kind of motivator.

So here I am... a newbie on this road.  I do feel pretty calm following the appointment.  It is nice to have a place to start on this journey.  I will always be so grateful to Beth and Sew and all my other friends that told me to go check it out.  You are all right, I could have wasted a lot of time.  I had no clue I was not ovulating.  My temps would go up... I'd have some CM.  So how would I know!?  But I'm sooo glad I do!  Ever since that first P +7 test, I've felt a bit down.  I started to feel a twinge of the pain associated with this road.  I would see something and think, "Oh I can't wait until Doug and I have a little one to do that with" and then I'd think... "Oh wait, no ovulation/blocked tubes/no baby."  It would be little stuff, but it was there.  It has been there since my HSG last year.  I had always hoped my tubes were my only issue, but I felt deep down, it would be more.  I just didn't want it to be true.  Who does?

Doug and I don't have anything big planned this weekend.  I am so happy about that!!!  Life has been running so intensely fast lately, that we need a slow weekend!  Thanks again everyone for ALL your prayers, advice and support!  It means the world to me!

p.s.  Do I get a membership card or something?  Just kidding!  You know how I love to fit in!  :)

9 comments:

Meg @ True, Good and Beautiful said...

Jenny, I'm so sorry that it looks to be PCOS. On the upside though, it is soooo great that you are doing all of this now, so early on in your marriage. I took the time I needed and don't regret doing so, but it would have been beneficial for my fertility to have looked into it sooner.

Keep us informed-we're here for you through all the ups and downs!

Brenda said...

Well heck, I hate that it's PCOS but PCOS can be treatable and have a very good success rate with pregnancy once your other issues get sorted out. Are you insulin resistant? I'm betting you are given you can't lose weight easily, etc. Having the IR is kind of a blessing in disguise if you can look at it that way:) It means you can take metformin and it not only helps with the IR but TTC as well. It is how we had Maggie!

Keep charting even though PCOS charts are so unhelpful:) But the minute I ovulated with my metformin, I knew. I knew before my 3 pregnancy tests registered!

You are tackling this early and getting on the right track with a doc who sounds like he knows what he's doing. When I was diagnosed 9 years ago, I was lucky to have a dr. who knew immediately what it was. But after I moved back home to TN, I had to EXPLAIN what it was to my next several docs! And even today, it's horribly under diagnosed and misunderstood!

Good luck in the coming weeks with all your testing! I'm so relieved for you that you have some answers:)

Amy @ This Cross I Embrace said...

I'm very happy for you already getting answers early in to your TTC journey. I, too, started early because things were clearly "off." (Obviously, I didn't present as an "infertility" patient since it had only been 3 months of marriage and TTC!!) - but healthwise, I'm so glad we got started right away, even though my mother thought I was ridiculous to suspect fertility problems... ha!

Keep us posted!

Sew said...

Good stuff Momma! I'm so gald you got on this! :) Man you gusy have had to really get try out that vow of in sickness and in health real early in marraige! :)

I can't wait to see what happens!!!!

... said...

Well, you don’t win much except an exclusive membership to a sucky club that has a lot of cool women in it! Welcome to the world of whole wheat flour & pasta, lower carb, more fiber than you ever thought you would eat before the age of 90 and, most likely, metformin.

I loved Doug’s reaction. During one pregnancy, DH came with me for an u/s and at the time I didn’t know it was a vaginal u/s (awwww. . . . my first vag u/s . . . the memories). My husband looked like a CAGED ANIMAL. He’s a big guy and he was so nervous and didn’t know where to stand so he was knocking into stuff trying to move around and I’m laughing so hard at him that I can get my bottoms off.

Brenda said...

Maybe the PCOS girls can make t-shirts. Mine would probably say "I'm not really fat, I have crappy hormones!" Something catchy like that:)

Jenny said...

I'm just glad the club has such fantastic members! You ladies are the best! I cannot thank you enough! I feel very blessed for that... even if there is no membership card! Maybe I'll even make it on a few more blog rolls! he he! ;)

And Ann... that u/s sounds so much like Doug! So funny!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about this, but it is *wonderful* you are so on top of this so soon in your marriage! It can be treatable and it sounds like you have a great doctor on your side!

Beth said...

Dr. G is the bomb! He's responsible for my kids! (well, Ken has a little to do with it too, but ya know - we couldn't have done it without Dr. G!)