Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Here we go... First fertility appointment.

Yep... Doug and I are officially heading into the fertility/TTC world.  We have our first appointment Thursday.  I'm a bit nervous.  I don't know what to ask, what to say or what to do in general (so please Help!) For several years, before I even met Doug, I had a feeling I would end up at an appointment like this.  But having it really be here is scary.


Some of you who read this blog might be wondering what we are doing heading to the fertility doctor after only been married 4 months.  Well... I've always had cysts and some painful cycles.  I was ignorant and did not fully understand what could really be the cause of cysts and pain and such.  Heck, I still am.  About a year and a half ago, I had horrible pain.  Pain so bad I ended up in the ER for an U/S to see what was going on.  They saw many cysts and figured one had ruptured.  They also saw that my tubes were filled with fluid.  Ugh.  Not what I wanted to hear.  Then, the day after we got engaged, Beth, took me for my HSG.  They found that one tube was blocked and one was open.  It was a bit funny during the test.  I was describing the engagement and showing off my ring while the doctor was doing his thing.  He kept asking questions in an attempt to distract me.  I guess he didn't like me asking... "Are they open??  Are they open?? Are they open??" every 2.5 seconds!  Ha!  He then advised that we started TTC right away.  Ummm... I politely said that we'd do that come our wedding night and he didn't really know what to say.  It was fun to shock him like that!

So then the wedding night came and went.  We did not expect to conceive right away or even within the first several months, but we have always been open to life.  I do admit, the first and second month, I did wonder if we would.  It was kind of exciting to think that having a baby could actually become a reality and not some far away idea like it had always been.  We had taken an NFP class and I had been charting.  My temps are all over the place and my CM very scant, periods light then crazy heavy and short short cycles.  I didn't really know what to think.  So one day when I was talking to my good friend, Sew, she suspected something was out of whack as well.  She told me to go get my blood drawn just to check my hormones.  We got testing on the same day!  Cycle day buddies!!  Well... thanks to Sew... I found out that it doesn't look like I'm ovulating at all!  My numbers were so low, that Sew asked if I had a vagi.na!  P + 7 progesterone was only 4.8.  Ouch.  And amid all the tears that were happening when I found out that news, she made me laugh!  Thanks Sew!  You rock!  


So, here we are.  The last two months I have not had any anticipation for anything.... except my appointment.  I moved on from my OB/gyn and went right to the fertility doctor, which he recommended when he called with the results.  I feel good about the doctor I will be seeing.  I've had a few friends go to him and they have since conceived two beautiful babies after stage 4 endo.  I've been trying to eat super healthy.  I've done  pretty well, but I haven't lost a pound.  Not one.  It's so frustrating.  I need to get healthy and it seems that whatever I try, it doesn't work.  I'm at a loss and I'm meeting with a different doctor next week to discuss what we can do about it.  So... that's the scoop.  I feel lucky that we found this so early and that I have a support system.  It's been hard and I know it's only the beginning....  

9 comments:

... said...

You are so smart to do this now! Best of luck with the doctor’s appointment. I hope you find some answers. If you are not ovulating, it sounds like (in addition to the other stuff) you may have PCOS and, if that is the case, losing weight is extremely difficult for us versus the rest of the population because of how your insulin reacts.

Second Chances said...

Best of luck to you and Doug! Yes, I agree with Ann, doing it now is the best idea. No sense in waiting because it likely won't produce good results. This hopefully will! Praying for you :)

Karey said...

Wow.. first, I am so sorry that you find yourself in this situation. But, that being said, it is so awesome that you are looking into things this early. I wish more women would do exactly what you are doing when they first get married (and even before), like trusting their gut, paying attention to their cycles, getting blood work drawn, getting an HSG. It can be hard to not be in denial, but denial can cost us precious time. I wish I had known to get to a doctor earlier than I did. You might be saving yourself years of heartache! I can't wait to hear how everything goes!

Sew said...

Yes, you are very lucky to be searching this out only after four months of marriage! Oh if only I would have done that too....It took us 3 years before my first surgery.

I had to laugh and I remember that conversation...I'm so sorry I didn't know you were crying and I was busting jokes! hahaha So sorry!

I can't wait to hear what happens! Your thyroid might need to be checked too...Have you had that run? :) Are you tired? Sorry, I'm becoming a neurotic about that because obviously what I've been through....

I know you are in good hands and you don't have to walk it alone....We are all here for you! ;)

Jenny said...

Thanks everyone... I'm glad I already have such a great group of gals to help!

And Nicole... your comment was exactly what I needed! It was perfect! I needed to laugh! And I'm always tired... but I get about 4.5 - 5 hrs of sleep a night! That's probably why! I don't know what to have him check!

Shannon said...

Prayers, prayers!!!!

LifeHopes said...

Yes I agree with everyone else. You are SO blessed to have the wherewithall (sp?) to get right on top of this thing sooner rather than later.

I KNOW you will get it all sorted out because you didn't wait around. I am so excited to see what the future holds for you!! You could be conceiving a lot sooner than later so don't let it worry you. (sometimes just getting those hormones fixed does the trick) Plus, you have a WEALTH of information on the blogs!! (probably more than you'd like ha ha!!)

I have so much hope for you and Doug, and am going to be praying lots for you!!!

E said...

Sorry you had to go through this so early in your marriage!

I hope the testing reveals something that can be treated easily. Please keep us posted!

Also, don't forget to you have your DH tested (SA and testosterone), which may help out the odds. :)

Shannon said...

My main prayer for you as your prayer buddy was (and still is) for your family to grow with God's plan... I'm praying you get the answers you need and that your body is healed!

So glad you're getting information so soon....