Monday, May 10, 2010

Metformin to the rescue??

Ok ladies... I started on Metformin a week ago.  I'm taking 500 mg/twice a day.  I feel dizzy a few hours after I take it and just weird... a little fuzzy I guess.  If you know me, I'm usually a little fuzzy anyway... but this is in addition to my normal fuzzy state of mind!  I don't feel like I'm going to pass out or anything, but something just seems off.  I was fine the first few days. This just recently started.

I've also been getting horrible headaches, which is very unlike me... I have one right now.  Head is pounding and all that will relieve it is sleep.  Is this just in my head or did any of you have any side effects when you started this??  How long did it take for your body to adjust??  Anything I should know?  I'm a newbie at this!  Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

16 comments:

Faith makes things possible said...

Hey! I'm a newbie to the blogging world but not the metformin world! ;)
I never had headaches but the main side effects that I experienced were with my stomach...it made it upset and I couldn't eat as much without feeling icky. It took a few weeks, once I was up to the full amount, for me to finally adjust to it. Goodluck!!

... said...

Most problems with M are stomach related, but I wouldn't dismiss it also causing a headache. The stomach issues can be pretty bad until for some people. I was fine on one pill & 2 pills, but it took a while to get adjusted to 3. I just had to learn when to take it. (I take all 3 at lunch about an hour after I eat).

Hebrews 11:1 said...

My DH would say, call your pharmacist and ask! The pharmacy where you got it filled should be able to tell you what's normal and what's not. Be sure to speak to the pharmacist, not a tech. I can ask DH about it too, when he gets home from his final.

Brenda said...

I've been on Met for 9 years and have had different dosages here and there. Did you get the extended release version? It's a bit more price wise but can help with the symptoms.

As others have said, it's mostly a gastro issue and can be severe. Nausea can be bad too but that for me mostly came when I didn't feel like eating so my BS was really low.

Headaches are common too for the same reason. That med is pushing your BS down down down and if you are not eating good snacks or having a long space between meals, you will get a headache or dizzy perhaps.

You must be doing great if you haven't had the stomach yucks yet!

Metformin is a love/hate drug! It's the closest thing to a "cure" for PCOS there is and we are kind of lucky we can take it. I conceived Maggie using it and tons of other women do too:) All the crappyness from the meds will be worth it. And you will probably lose weight! Bonus:) I lost about 20 lbs way back when. Hurry up and get here already so we can sit around like old women and talk about our health problems:)

Anonymous said...

sorry I can't help..........I hope you feel better soon.

Jenny said...

I've had some stomach issues... Just feel a little ugh all the time! The fuzzy/dizzy stuff is the main thing right now. I did get the extended release ones... Only $4!! I'll take a little discomfort to actually ovulate!! My body won't know what to do!! Ha!!

Should it extend my cycles too?? I never go past 26 days... 25 is my norm.

And I'll be there (with Pack & Co.) in 10 days!!!!

Brenda said...

I'm not sure about the cycles, Jenny. If you were bleeding in any kind of consistent patter, then you are way ahead of me:) If I am not on the met, I go months without some kind of period. See you soon!

Sew said...

PCOS is easier to cure then the other infertility stuff out there! :) I might get hazed for that comment... ;) hahahaha

Can't wait it's the final countdown! Waffle is dying to see you!!!

Brenda said...

Yeah, Sew, you might:) But I know what you mean, PCOS is easy in the sense it's easier to achieve pregnancy I think compared to other IF issues. The effects of PCOS can be helped/hindered based on lifestyle changes. What other IF issue can say that? The downer on that is that PCOS goes beyond fertility if you have the Insulin Resistant problem which is eventually going to lead to full blown diabetes. And diabetes creates a ton of health problems of its own.

I think PCOS is really treatable w/out a lot of invasion to the body or repeated drug use each month.

I can't believe I had anything nice to say about this stupid syndrome:)

Sew said...

Phew, I thought I was going to get hazed.... :)

Jenny said...

I'm not sure about the hazing.... but I think Beth and I will bring lots and lots of christian music and play it constantly while we are there! Either that or we will watch my wedding video over and over and over!!! Hahahahaha!! Ann, I hope this isn't making you not want to join us! :)

ps... I do want to see the video of your Latin mass... And I'm not kidding!

pps... No headache yet today... Just dizzy! We shall see if the headache stays away... Normally it's late in the afternoon/evening.

Sew said...

No Christian music allowed here! I will throw up on your feet and I'm lethal--7 prunes a day! hahahaha

We will skim it.... ;) I can play the cd for you, it's much prettier then any Christian music you will ever hear....

I have unanswered prayers...Put a gun to my head! hahaha Now who is hazing.....

I hope you start to feel better....Does met start to normalize in you and this is just the grace period?

mrsblondies said...

I agree with Sew that PCOS seems to be one of the easier diagnosis to treat and have a successful pregnancy. I hope you feel better soon and don't have too many metformin side effects.

Thankful said...

I felt a little "fuzzy" when starting it, too, but that stopped once my body adjusted. Good luck!

Brenda said...

Wait....am I not alone in that I don't love Christian music? Oh good. I always feel like a horrible person when I tell people that. I guess Sew and I can be horrible people together:)

Sew said...

Breanda I HATE IT!!!! PHew! ;) I can't listen to it...Even some of the songs at church are to bible beaten for me.... :) I might get hazed.... :)