Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Bad Day. Best of Friends.

Yesterday was just one of those days.  I might as well got up on the wrong side of the bed.  I went into work in a fairly good mood, but it steadily went down from there.

I just wanted to be at home. In bed. I didn't want to be around anyone at work.  I was tired. I was grumpy. It is CD 1 and I have horrible cramps.  CD 1 didn't bother me, but the cramps were harsh and my legs are sore, as they always are on CD 1.  My clothes were tight and I just wanted to scream.  Get the picture?  Not feeling it today.

Despite my sour mood, I was able to be extremely productive this morning.  But I felt that everything was a struggle.  Even lunch.  I sat there, cramps and all, with my 'lunch bunch' as I call them.  Some of these girls I've known over 15 years.  We go way back.  We've been through a lot together.  So... as most days go, they started talked about their kids.  I love all their kids... and this is common lunch discussion.  No big deal!  Their stories are so funny!  Then they started on how they were so glad they had their birth control (why does this keep coming up? Ugh!)... they were glad their husbands were snipped ... they were so glad most of them would never have to worry about strollers and babies again.  Really?  There is one prego among the group.  She is incredibly cute and pregnant... and they all said to her... "We don't want your kind of birth control... it obviously doesn't work!  Hahahahahaa!"  Everyone was laughing.  But me.  I was emailing Ann about how horrible this was for me.  How out of place I felt.  How I wanted to get up and walk out or scream or something.  One of them knows of my ovulation issues and thyroid problems... they all know of my blocked tubes.  They ALL know about how I feel about birth control.  But they still went on and on.  I've heard this same conversation from this group a zillion times before, but today, it just got to me like it never has before. Thank you Ann for getting me through that lunch!! 

I went back to my desk and cried.  Seriously?  Yep, I cried.  I don't think anyone noticed.  It wasn't that they were talking about their kids that got me.  That happens every day.  I don't mind.  It wasn't the fact that I'm pretty sure I haven't ovulated for months and I'm pretty sure there will be no baby for us for quite a while.  Ok... maybe that was it a little.  But I think what really got me was just how different and out of place I felt.  As I thought about it... I was able to see really WHY I felt so horrible during lunch.

The obvious... I feel behind.  I've always felt this way.  I was always the single one among my friends.  I have friends that have been married 10 plus years and I'm just now a newlywed.  Whatever stage of life I have been in, I always felt like I was playing catch up.  And no matter how fast I run... ok, walk... I can't get where they are.  I can't magically pop out a 9 year old and be all caught up.  Ouch.  Whatever I do... I won't be where they are

But what really got me... Is how I kept thinking... "I'm so ok NOT being where they are."  I don't ever want to talk about how wonderful it is that I don't have to worry about strollers and baby spit up.  I don't want to shout, "Yay, I'M DONE!" I don't EVER want to talk about what hormones I'm putting in my body to make sure that happens.  I felt so alone among some of my oldest friends.  All of their talk just emphasized how different we all are.  How different I feel about things.  How different I see the world.  How I can't relate to them, on so many levels.  How if feels as if they do not know me or get me at all.  Comments and topics that never bothered me before, now pierce right though my heart and sting.  The differences between us seem so clear now.  They have always been there and we've known about some of them for a long time.  It was just a little overwhelming, as most things are lately. 

So I finished crying and got on with my day.  Then my fertility nurse calls.  I was anxiously awaiting my labs from last week... I wanted to know how my thyroid was doing.  I knew it was not going great.  All my temps were crazy low this month.  I know I didn't ovulate.  I'm still freezing, tired all the time and my weight hasn't budged at all.  But still... I'm on meds... my thyroid has to be getting somewhat better, right? WRONG! It has gone backwards!  It's worse!!!  Way worse!  I thought I heard the nurse wrong.  She was baffled too.  She had no idea why this would happen.  Everything was worse!  Not one single lab improved on the medication!  Ugh!  I have an appointment with Dr. G Monday and hopefully, we can get some things working in the right direction.

So, as I'm receiving the news... I was emailing Ann and Sew.  I think we were emailing about how Judas was the first to leave mass or something... Hmmm.... Anyway... we start emailing about my thyroid and Dr. Sew kicks in!  She and Ann were telling me what I need to order, what needs to be done, what tests to run, etc. etc.  They demand that I talk to Barbie (get ready! email is heading your way!) and get as much information as I possibly can before my appointment on Monday.  They are right.  I'm not wasting another appointment.  I'm not going to keep feeling like this.  It's horrible.  My body is not working and I hate it.  Sew tells me what thyroid books I need to read.  Check!  I called the library and started driving that way.  She then emails me the name of a doctor who specializes in adrenals and thyroid in my area.  Check!  I called and made an appointment.  I can't get in until the end of September, but it's a start.  I started reading my books tonight and I'm getting ready for Monday.  Talk about some best friends.  I have friends I have known for years that wouldn't go to all that trouble!  They lifted me up when I was down... what amazing sisters in Christ!!!

When I got home... DH was there to offer a big bear hug.  He knew exactly what I needed.  He's the best too.  He always knows just what I need... he loves me, even my non-functioning thyroid. I'm so glad I ended up where I did.  If I wasn't so "behind" I wouldn't be here with Doug.  I wouldn't have all these amazing friends here on the blogs.  I would not trade that for anything.  Well... maybe some armour!  Ha ha!  Just kidding!!

And today... I think I'll be eating lunch at my desk.  :)


Side note: I saw Beth last night and her baby bump is looking oh so cute! 

26 comments:

Little JoAnn said...

This post really moved me. I am in the same situation as you, having friends that I had during my entire life that I am now left behind from. Slowly, I have been able to turn this pain over to God and trust that He will lead me to new friends in Christ.

Please know that I am following your journey in a special way and if I can do anything for you, I am here.

... said...

Hugs. I hate those times when you are surrounded by people, but feel so alone and start to realize just how different you and your old friends are. I just love your reflection about seeing the blessings of “being behind” (especially Doug, what a blessing he is).

And for what it’s worth, I’m kind of happy I had a huge semi truck blocking my driveway and trapping me here all day although I didn’t seem so happy about it at the time. It gave me lots of Jenny time (since I’m not iphone gifted and can’t respond on my phone as quickly as my computer) and you & Sew cheered me up, too. I’m lucky to be where I am and have the friends I have, too. It’s the first time in a long time I’ve felt understood. (AND bonus with Leila being back!)

Dr. Sew kicked butt finding that doctor in your area! I was reading and in awe of all the information she was finding! You get amazing Barbie on Team Jenny and I am almost scared of the goodness that's going to happen.

JellyBelly said...

I wish that I lived closer so we could go to lunch together! I would never talk to you abou bc!!! :)

The ladies in blog land have saved me so many times. God bless them!

Sew said...

Man I had no idea you were having such a crappy day! I wouldn't have been so hard on you! hahahaha

I'm glad that you have til the end of Septemeber to get that reading in before you see the new doctor!

I would recommend getting that canary club test that Ann was talking about yesterday tested before you see her. That way you will already be ready when you see her and ready for treatment. I'm dying to see what your adrenals are doing.

Second Chances said...

That's awesome that you found peace with the blogger ladies. They are good like that!

Sorry about the bc talk at lunch. It's so sad to be among friends that you love when you realize that they are in totally different places than you. And the span is so vast that you can't build a bridge. Very sad. I've been there and I'm sorry you have too.

Praying for good things to come your way soon!

Kaitlin @ More Like Mary said...

Oh this hurt to read. I just wanted to hug you and take it away. But every time you said something that made me sad-like behind behind or not being where they are-you came to the exact realization that I would have offered you. You are NOT where they are and can rejoice that you know the truth! You are behind and you have your wonderful hubby to thank for it! Just beautiful. God gave you such wisdom even though you endured an awful day. I hope today is much better!

Jeremiah 29:11 said...

I remember having similar conversations In the faculty room at my school. I hated it! Especially when some of them knew my story. I am so glad the ladies came to your rescue! They are the BEST!

Megan said...

Jenny, you and I should have gone out for a drink, yesterday! Here's to both of us having a fantastically crappy July 12.
Even though you may feel behind in life compared to your lunch bunch, you are so much farther ahead spiritually where it really counts.
You are in my prayers!

Sarah said...

Jenny - I totally know that feeling of being "behind." Of feeling left out. Ugh, story of my life too.

Fiance and I had some tearful conversations this weekend, all related to our ages and feeling like we don't have the luxury of time. Many women in my family have fertility/female issues in their 30's.... I will turn 30 shortly after the wedding. My sisters have multiple children already and will most likely have large families, and who knows what Fiance and I face ahead of us.

I like your perspective tho... yes, there are blessings to being "behind." Fiance said something similar to me that you wrote here... he said yeah, I wish we were 21 but you know, if things hadn't played out this way we wouldn't have found each other. Gosh, what does Scripture say? "The last shall be first." Jesus loves those of us who are "behind." :)

Anonymous said...

I had three THREE margarita's last night, you should have come with me! :)

Ann, the amazing barbie? Ahh I'll remember that all day! :)

mrsblondies said...

Sorry that you had to deal with such a frustrating conversation. A couple months ago I had to deal with a similar situation with one of D's friends who knows we've been trying for three years, the surgeries and everything. I'm glad you realized that you don't ever want to feel the feelings that those friends do about babies.

I'm glad you had Ann and Sew to get you through. I hope your upcoming appointment goes well and you learn a lot from the Amazing Barbie!

Leila@LittleCatholicBubble said...

Oh, sweetie. I'm with Kaitlin, it hurt me to read it. I think of you as a hero for being "out in the world" and dealing with that crap. I am a coward in my Catholic bubble most of the time.

I am soooooo glad for the blogger ladies, the true friends who have come to your rescue!!

WheelbarrowRider said...

Ok, that was the kind of day that drives people to drink. Ugh. But...I am a sucker for happy endings and I was so uplifted to hear what Sew and Ann did for you! Yeah for blogger buddies!

LifeHopes said...

I am so sorry about your day, the worsening thyroid, and these really misguided friends. Your pain is completely understandable, in fact, it pains me to hear their attitudes about life, which is such a precious gift. I was listening to a radio program this morning about "Ella" the new plan B drug (of course they were singing its praises) and I found myself tearing up in utter sadness and despair ... I just don't even know where to begin sometimes with the people in this world. It is truly a slap in the face ... not only to those of us who struggle to conceive (struggle is probably the understatement of the year), but to Our Lord, the giver of life.

Do you know that by living out your example, even without saying words, you are a beautiful testimony to life? You are open to life, you are working hard to restore your health and fertility, and by doing so you are honoring God. In my almost 4+ years of infertility, the only consolation I could ever truly find was in knowing that I was giving Him all I had, even if it wasn't a baby ... I was giving Him my broken body, surrendering it to Him, and asking for His healing touch. (I also asked Him to lead me to the right Doctors, treatments, and prayers and at the right time).

I just know our Heavenly Father looks upon you with such tenderness and love, and He has great and beautiful plans for you. I am going to add you to my daily prayer list of those I am storming heaven for. I pray specifically that you will find the right Dr., the right treatments, and the right path to restore your health and fertility. You have a great resource in these blogs!

alliemich said...

Sorry you had such a bad day, cd1 + comments about birth control and no sensitivity to your issues is not a good mix. Glad Doc Sew saved the day, she is like an insurance employee looking for docs and finding numbers, GOd love her! Hope you have a better day tomorrow, even if you have lunch at your desk solo. (((( hugs ))))

some how, some way, some day said...

Gosh but I could totally feel your pain. It's amazing how clueless the people who are closest to us can be. It's like we're on different planets most of the time. I, too, am so glad I found my blogger friends! Now, they're the kind of friends every girl needs in this life! Too bad most of us live in different states.

Jenny said...

Thanks everyone... You ladies are the best. I'm feeling a tad better today. Lunch alone was wonderful! No bc talk .... just lots of reading and relaxing! I'll be praying for all of you and really appreciate all of your prayers! They mean so much! :)

Rebecca said...

I'm so sorry for a bad day :(. I too understand being 'behind' in everything. While my husband and I have been together longer than most of our friends, we were almost the last to marry and will definitely be the last to have children. Sometimes it just feels like two-steps back...

Beth said...

I can't wait till you can quit your job. Hang out with me all the time! I promise I will NEVER mention bc unless we're making fun of people who use it ;)

Anonymous said...

So sorry about cd1, I get those horrible cramps too, all the way down my thighs! GRRRR! What dumb friends! I hate hate hate when my friends all cackle (cuz that's what they do) about bc and the same crap about not getting pg or so do not want any more kids! It seems to be mostly like that when were all in a big group too.

It's so wonderful that we have these blogger gals to turn to when times are tough, some of them have been threw it all already and us newbies really need there help!

maby we should all just move and make our own IF country?? lol

Jenny said...

I think we should all just move to Leila's bubble! ;)

Miss G said...

I am sorry for your bad day as well. Despite our differences over birth control, it seems insensitive of your lunch bunch to not realize how hurtful their casual remarks are-especially when you are having challenges conceiving.

I can also relate to feeling behind, as the majority of my close friends from high school/college/grad school are married and preparing for second and third pregnancies. And here I remain in my thirties, unwed and childless. One of my good friends who is married with a precious little baby girl reminisced to me recently "ah! how fun and exciting to be in love and getting to know someone new!" It reminded me that no matter what stage of life we're in, it's a pleasure to have friends rejoice with you, no matter where you are-and my friend certainly didn't see me as "behind" but rather in a blissful period of life.

I hope you fell better

Jenny said...

Thank you Gwen! Today was much better!

Mary said...

Oh Jenny...I wish I could have been there to give you a hug too :( ...I am right there with you when it comes to feeling "out of the conversation"...Which is just why I keep DYING to move to Indiana. I know I have a group of friends there who will be positive...But I also know leaving isn't always the best answer and maybe I should sit my butt here in Nebraska and set an example? :)
So glad your day improved and that the next day was even better. And YAY for awesome husbands and their GREAT HUGS!!! :)

Much love to you dear!!!

Mary said...

PS - I always feel like I'm saying those things Gwen said to myself (beautiful words from her there!!!)...gotta know that your life is as God wanted it for you... AND that it is just brief human life and there's a better one coming ;)
I know it's still hard when this life is rough though, regardless. You're always in my prayers! You guys will be (amazing!!!) parents someday too and it will be at exactly the right time! :)

Beth said...

geez. 26 comments? How'd you get so popular?